Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#232535 - 03/09/2004 21:25 Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm going to pull out my hair now.

All my Direct3D games have played quite well with my GeForce FX 5900 Ultra video card, as long as I'm using the latest drivers that fix the slow smoke bug discussed in that other old thread.

All games except two, that is. Halo and Far Cry.

Doom3 works perfect, PainKiller works perfect, UT2004 works perfect, etc. Only Halo and Far Cry are giving me trouble.

Now, I know those two games worked well once upon a time. I've played them both all the way to the end. Halo, twice in fact. But now, they both give me BSOD's when I run them. Far Cry gives me a BSOD immediately after the first level is loaded. Halo starts up OK, but then the graphics get steadily more corrupted as the game goes on-- objects disappearing and such, followed by random 3D shapes and textures on the screen-- followed by the BSOD.

The BSODs always say "kmode_exception_not_handled" and "nv4_disp.dll". The details of the addresses vary.

But here's the crazy part: I just made a fresh installation of Windows 2000 on an extra disk drive. Installed Service Pack 4, and installed the video driver and DirectX. Copied the game files over for Halo and Far Cry. And the games PLAY PERFECTLY without the slightest hint of trouble.

That's nice, there's clearly something corrupted about my current Windows 2000 installation, right? But the thing is... I just got done re-installing windows 2000 from scratch on this main disk drive. After doing so, it took me weeks to get all my applications and tweaks and such migrated over to the new system. There are hundreds of little things I do on a new system and it takes me quite a while to get it "just right" so everything is doing what I want it to do.

So... I could just reinstall windows again and get Halo/Farcry working perfectly, but there's clearly something, some specific little thing that gets installed on the new system, that's causing all this. And I know that eventually, I'd get around to making that one little change and bam, they'd stop working again. I'd rather forego the weeks of work to reformat the system. I'd rather figure out a way to trace down that one little change, whatever it is. But I have no idea what that one little change is. I'm totally stumped as to what it could be. Argh.

I don't even really expect anyone here to be able to help me, I just wanted to vent. I'm very frustrated. Thanks for listening.

#232536 - 03/09/2004 23:43 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, if you're okay with reinstalling everything, do so, except install those games first thing. Then every time you install something or make a change, run them. That way you'll know what thing breaks it. Or at least the last thing in the chain of modifications that breaks it.

#232537 - 03/09/2004 23:46 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, that's of course the very thing I want to avoid because it would take weeks.

What I'm looking for now is a way to do the "step by step" boot that we used to have under win95. Maybe there's an obvious driver or something that's getting loaded that I can remove. Don't see the "step by step" option for booting windows 2000 though.

#232538 - 03/09/2004 23:51 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'd imagine it's more that something got overwritten rather than something's getting loaded that shouldn't be.

#232539 - 03/09/2004 23:57 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Actually, someone seems to have found a problem with some sort of keyboard macro recorder running. I'm sure that you've not got the same thing, but his method of killing processes from the task manager and trying it after killing each successive one seemed like a reasonable idea.

#232540 - 04/09/2004 00:05 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, been down that route. I've gone into task manager and literally killed everything that I possibly could, down to the bare minimum to keep Windows running, and I still get the same behavior.

#232541 - 04/09/2004 00:41 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
xp

#232542 - 04/09/2004 06:00 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: RobotCaleb]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
xp

Yeah, runs both Doom 3 and Far Cry just fine for me. I haven't got a copy of Halo to try. However, I'm using an ATI card, rather than an nVidia one.

#232543 - 04/09/2004 06:32 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hah!!!!! Found it!!!!

I'm a very happy boy right now.

Okay, one of the reasons I'd chosen to install 2000 Server on this box was because there are times when I want to remote-control it using Terminal Services.

Turns out, that's precisely what those games didn't like. Well, more specifically, it's what the Nvidia driver in combination with those games didn't like. Deinstalling terminal services solved the problem. Those games now run better than they ever did with these newset Nvidia drivers.

So y'all can take your Fischer-Price OS and... well... go play with it or something.

#232544 - 04/09/2004 07:06 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
So y'all can take your Fischer-Price OS and... well... go play with it or something.

Or we could continue to play those games with no problems while still having Remote Desktop available

#232545 - 04/09/2004 08:13 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
XP Pro does RDP as well; I TS into my machine all the time from work. Anyway, even if it didn't, that's what VNC is for.

Edit: Yeah, and see Roger's post too. For some reason I missed it.

Edited by ricin (04/09/2004 08:17)

#232546 - 04/09/2004 11:17 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Quote:

Okay, one of the reasons I'd chosen to install 2000 Server on this box was because there are times when I want to remote-control it using Terminal Services.

You do realize that Windows XP has Remote Desktop features as well not to mention it's based on an updated version of the exact same OS kernel as Windows 2000 Server...

#232547 - 04/09/2004 13:16 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: siberia37]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I'm with him though. I installed XP at home and I really just like the way 200 did things better. To the point that I'd probably switch back if it wasn't such a PITA.

#232548 - 04/09/2004 15:31 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: lectric]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Did what things? I'm running XP now and it's doing everything virtually the same way as 2000 did. Of course, it takes a small amount of effort to change it from the insane XP defaults.

#232549 - 04/09/2004 16:25 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Mostly, I dislike how they've re-organized most of the configuration screens, making it harder to reach the settings I change most often. I dislike the way everything is animated so that it slows down things that I want to do quickly. I dislike the way the new start menu looks and operates. And I don't like the phone-home mentality.

I think the only feature of XP that I really like is how quickly it boots up. That alone makes me *almost* want to switch to it.

#232550 - 04/09/2004 16:41 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

All of those except the phone home thing are easily undoable (TweakUI). The phone home thing can be ... ummm ... avoided.

The killer feature for me is the ability to have multiple users logged in and running programs at once. Obviously, only one user can control the console, but any backgrounded users' prgrams continue to run. This means I can have a long-running process going on and still let the wife use the computer.

#232551 - 04/09/2004 16:47 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
So actually, the only thing you don't like is:

they've re-organized most of the configuration screens

...as all the other things you can change back to the way they work in Win2k, thankfully, because I too hate all those other changes. The normal WinXP start menu is an absolute disaster.

I can understand not wanting to support a whole bunch of WinXP machines, but the improved boot times and make it a worthwhile step up from Win2K for your own machine. Isn't WinXP "better" at running 3D games as well ?

#232552 - 04/09/2004 19:06 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
but the improved boot times and make it a worthwhile step up from Win2K for your own machine

Were you expecting two reasons, then only thought of one?

I also don't see myself ever switching from 2000 to XP. I can't explain it well, but every time I use XP, it feels like I have no control, and the OS wants to do everything for me. I don't want to sacrifice freedom for automation. Let me use my computer if I want to.

#232553 - 04/09/2004 20:23 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
but the improved boot times and make it a worthwhile step up from Win2K for your own machine

Were you expecting two reasons, then only thought of one?

Kind of, I was going to talk about it being better for 3D and then re-worded it...

Quote:
I also don't see myself ever switching from 2000 to XP. I can't explain it well, but every time I use XP, it feels like I have no control, and the OS wants to do everything for me. I don't want to sacrifice freedom for automation. Let me use my computer if I want to.

I remember having the same stance on DOS vs. Windows for a long time

#232554 - 05/09/2004 03:22 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: andy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The normal WinXP start menu is an absolute disaster.

I like the new Start Panel due to how many customizable options it has. It also puts My Computer always in reach, without having to minimize everything. I never liked using up taskbar space for program items, so having them one click away in the Start Panel is to me much nicer. That combined with the auto hide system tray options, and my taskbar is pretty slim.

See, not a single option there that I don't want, like help and such.

Attachments
231705-startpanel.jpg (102 downloads)

Edited by drakino (05/09/2004 03:23)

#232555 - 05/09/2004 04:02 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I think the only feature of XP that I really like is how quickly it boots up.

Yes, but haven't you noticed that you pay for that speed at the other end of the process? XP takes (it seems like) forever to shut down.

I suspect that a Win2K computer would do "0 to 100 to 0" faster than a comparably configured XP machine, even though the XP would get to "100" much faster.

tanstaafl.

#232556 - 05/09/2004 11:26 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
XP takes (it seems like) forever to shut down.

I don't think that's supposed to be the case. The things that they've done to speed XP's boot shouldn't cause the shutdowns to take longer.

Generally, when one of MS's operating systems is taking more than a few seconds to shut down, it means there's something wrong or misconfigured, there's some sort of network timeout happening, or there's some kind of third party application that's refusing to close. I'd look into troubleshooting it if I were you. Have a scrape 'round the Microsoft Knowledge Base for some of their articles on how to troubleshoot slow shutdowns.

#232557 - 05/09/2004 17:06 Re: Argh, "kmode exception not handled" in nv4_disp.dll [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Yeah, XP stutdowns and hibernations only take a couple of seconds on my laptop.

There was a classic problem on NT4 Server with MS Exchange. As soon as you installed Exchange NT suddenly took 10 minutes to shutdown.

It was caused by the fact that the Exchange server service could take a while to shutdown on occasions, so when Exchange was installed it changed the registry setting that determines how long a service is allowed to shutdown. If I remember correctly the setting before was 60 seconds and after it is 600 seconds.

Unfortunately there was lots of NT4 boxes with NT services that worked fine, except that they hung on shutdown. Before the Exchange install this wasn't a major problem, after the Exchange install your NT4 box sat locked up for 10 minutes at shutdown.

Don't you just love it when a seemingly "safe" change hits a bunch of people when unexpectedly...